1. Disneyland Employee Cafeteria in 1961
2. 106-year-old armenian woman guards home, 1990
3. Illegal alcohol being poured out during Prohibition, Detroit, 1929
4. First morning after Sweden changed from driving on the left side to driving on the right, 1967
5. On May 1, 1947, photography student Robert Wiles heard a thunderous crash
and hurried to take an iconic picture that ended up in Life Magazine. The picture was of 23-year old Evelyn McHale. She had jumped to her death from the 86th floor of the Empire State Building. Read more here.
6. Last prisoners of Alcatraz leaving, 1963
7. Christmas dinner during Great Depression: turnips and cabbage
8. Austrian boy receives new shoes during WWII
9. Mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948
10. Mom and son watching the mushroom cloud after an atomic test, Las Vegas, 1953
11. Lifeguard on the coast, 1920′s
12. Hotel owner pouring acid in the pool while black people swim in it, ca. 1964
13. Bookstore in London ruined by an air raid, 1940
14. Unknown soldier in Vietnam, 1965
15. Soldier shares a banana with a goat during the battle of Saipan, ca. 1944
—she is often credited for inventing the sport of synchronised swimming after her 1907 performance of the first water ballet in a glass tank at the New York Hippodrome— promotes women’s right to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907. She was arrested for indecency.
17. 1890 and Santa Claus is in New York.
18. Testing of new bulletproof vests, 1923
19. President Richard Nixon learning to use oriental sticks during a 1972 visit.
20. 1975. Babies being transported from South Vietnam to the USA during “Operation Babylift“.
21. Baby cages used to ensure that children get enough sunlight and fresh air when living in an apartment building, ca. 1937
22. Little girl with her doll sitting in the ruins of her bombed home, London, 1940
23. Construction of the Berlin wall, 1961
24. Measuring bathing suits – if they were too short, women would be fined, 1920′s
25. Martin Luther King with his son removing a burnt cross from their front yard, 1960
26. Suntan vending machine, 1949. Spray tan already invented!
27. Jesse James at the age of 16.
28. Original daguerrotype of Billy The Kid.
29. New York firemen on 1912.
30. Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald, 1963
31. Bathing suit fashion show in 1928.
32. Building the Manhattan Bridge in 1908.
33. Hearse for Abraham Lincoln in 1865.
34. Charlie Chaplin at age 27, 1916
35. Apollo I astronauts rehearsing the landing on water in 1966.
As J Sepp points out in the comment section below:
“[…] from center clockwise it is:
Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom – One of original 7 Mercury astronauts – Second American to fly in space.
Also flew during the Gemini missions – became first US astronaut to fly twice in space
Roger B. Chaffee – Was to be his first time in space
Edward H. White II – First US astronaut to walk in space during Gemini program”